DELWP agencies are accountable to the responsible ministers for the functions they perform on behalf of the Victorian Government in managing, regulating, consulting and/or advising in relation to public land, water, energy and environmental resources and planning and local infrastructure.

They perform a valuable service to the Victorian community.

DELWP oversees and supports these agencies on behalf of the ministers.

The functions of a DELWP agency are set out in its establishing Act or terms of reference.

Most major DELWP agencies have their own website that provides an overview of the agency's functions, copies of annual reports, and other information about the agency.

Major DELWP agencies include:


For example:

Electric Line Clearance Consultative Committee

Energy Safe Victoria

Victorian Electrolysis Committee.

Environment and Climate Change

For example:

Commissioner for Environmental Sustainability

Environment Protection Authority

Environment Protection Board

Scientific Advisory Committee

Sustainability Victoria

Trust for Nature (Victoria)

Victorian Environmental Assessment Council

Victorian Mineral Water Committee

Waste and Resource Recovery Groups (WRRGs)

  • Barwon South West WRRG
  • Gippsland WRRG
  • Goulburn Valley WRRG
  • Grampians Central WRRG
  • Loddon Mallee WRRG
  • Metropolitan WRRG
  • North East WRRG

Public Land

For example:

National Parks Advisory Council

Parks Victoria

Reference Areas Advisory Committee

Royal Botanic Gardens Board Victoria

Zoological Parks and Gardens Board


  • Alpine Resorts Coordinating Council
  • Alpine Advisory Committee
  • Falls Creek Alpine Resort Management Board
  • Mount Buller and Mount Stirling Alpine Resort Management Board
  • Mount Hotham Alpine Resort Management Board
  • Southern Alpine Resort Management Board


  • Central Coast Regional Coastal Board
  • Gippsland Lakes and Coast Regional Coastal Board
  • Western Coast Regional Coastal Board
  • Victorian Coastal Council
  • In addition, a number of major committees of management manage coastal reserves (see below)

Committees of Management (category 1)

  • Barwon Coast CoM
  • Bellarine Bayside CoM
  • Great Ocean Road Coast CoM
  • Otway Coast CoM
  • Phillip Island Nature Park Board of Management
  • Winton Wetlands CoM
  • Working Heritage Inc. (formerly Mint Inc.)

For a list of category 2 CoMs contact your local DELWP regional office.

Traditional Owner Land Management

  • Budj Bim Council
  • Dhelkunya Dja Land Management Board
  • Gunaikurnai Traditional Owner Land Management Board
  • Yorta Yorta Traditional Owner Land Management Board
  • Related information: agreements with traditional land owners

Trustees of Crown Land Reserves – some trustees are major agencies.

For example:

Councillor Conduct Panel List

Panel of Administrators for Greater Geelong City Council

Victoria Grants Commission.

For example:

Architects Registration Board of Victoria

Building Advisory Council

Building Appeals Board

Building Practitioners Board

Building Regulations Advisory Committee

Geographic Place Names Advisory Panel

Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution Hardship Relief Board

Heritage Council

Planning Application Committee

Plumbing Advisory Council

Registrar of Geographic Names

Surveyors Registration Board of Victoria

Victorian Building Authority

Victorian Planning Authority

In addition, various:

  • planning panels and advisory committees are established under the Planning and Environment Act 1987
  • environmental effects inquiries are established under the Environmental Effects Act 1978.

For example:

metropolitan partnerships.

For example:

Catchment management

Catchment Management Authorities

There are 10 catchment management authorities across Victoria:

  • Corangamite Catchment Management Authority
  • East Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
  • Glenelg Hopkins Catchment Management Authority
  • Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority
  • Mallee Catchment Management Authority
  • North Central Catchment Management Authority
  • North East Catchment Management Authority
  • Port Phillip and Westernport Catchment Management Authority
  • West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority
  • Wimmera Catchment Management Authority
  • Victorian Catchment Management Council.


Water Corporations

There are 19 water corporations servicing Melbourne and regional areas across Victoria:

  • Barwon Region Water Corporation
  • Central Gippsland Region Water Corporation (t/a Gippsland Water)
  • Central Highlands Region Water Corporation
  • City West Water Corporation (Melbourne)
  • Coliban Region Water Corporation
  • East Gippsland Region Water Corporation
  • Gippsland and Southern Rural Water Corporation (t/a Southern Rural Water)
  • Goulburn-Murray Rural Water Corporation (Goulburn-Murray Water)
  • Goulburn Valley Region Water Corporation
  • Grampians Wimmera Mallee Water Corporation
  • Lower Murray Urban and Rural Water Corporation (t/a Lower Murray Water)
  • Melbourne Water Corporation (Melbourne)
  • North East Region Water Corporation
  • South East Water Corporation (Melbourne)
  • South Gippsland Region Water Corporation
  • Yarra Valley Water Corporation (Melbourne)
  • Wannon Region Water Corporation
  • Westernport Region Water Corporation
  • Western Region Water Corporation (t/a Western Water)


  • Victorian Environmental Water Holder
  • Water Supply Protection Area Consultative Committees
  • various agencies (e.g. Gippsland Lakes Coordinating Committee).

Page last updated: 15/07/22